Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Fritters
Pan-fried fritters with bacon, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and scallions.
1 medium head cauliflower
5 slices crispy cooked and crumbled bacon
3 scallions sliced thin and diced
1 + 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno pepper, diced, seeds removed, optional
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
coarse salt and fresh black pepper
vegetable oil, for pan-frying
sour cream and chopped chives or scallions, for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Rinse with cold water or place them in a large bowl of ice water. Drain well then lightly mash with a potato masher or fork. Add the mashed cauliflower to a wire strainer or colander placed over a bowl to drain excess water 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the eggs, bacon, scallions, jalapeno, 2 tablespoons of the flour and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Add the drained cauliflower into a large bowl and whisk in the egg mixture, stir in the cheese and the remaining cup of flour, baking powder and season again lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a large nonstick skillet generously with oil and heat over medium heat. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet, flatten slightly and cook until golden brown, flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add oil as needed to the pan and repeat until all the fritters are cooked. Serve with sour cream and fresh chopped chives or scallions for garnish.